Abubakar Anafi is a Partner in G. Elias. He holds a Bachelor of Laws from the University of Ilorin. He was called to the Nigerian Bar in 2007. He joined the firm in 2008. He is a Commonwealth Professional Fellow. Abubakar’s practice areas cover dispute resolution (mediation, arbitration and litigation), insolvency, employment and consumer products.
Abubakar advises and represents clients (in various courts and tribunals including the Supreme Court of Nigeria) on matters bordering on various issues including compliance, employment, real estate, banking, employment, consumer products and share price manipulation..
Phone number: +234 806 968 9514
LinkedIn - https://ng.linkedin.com/in/abubakar-anafi-39a72522
Some of Abubakar’s work include:
- successfully prosecuted and defended a number of cases including a claim of over (i) N400mm by a leading bank in Nigeria and (ii) N1bn against a leading bank in Nigeria;
- successfully represented a Dubai-based company engaged in clearing and forwarding business in African jurisdictions in the arbitration with a claim of over N6bn involving one of the leading businesses in Africa. He is currently defending the litigation seeking to aside the arbitral award;
- a member of the team that successfully defended AFC’s immunity in a suit filed against it by the Industrial Training Fund, an agency of the Federal Government of Nigeria and defending the appeal arising from that decision;
- advising a Nigerian company in a London-seated ICC arbitration involving a claim of over USD900mm against the Federal Government of Nigeria in respect of a hydro-power project in Africa;
- advising and representing a foreign company in arbitration proceedings arising from shareholder-related disputes and financing of a major telecommunications company in Nigeria;
- currently representing clients in a series of cases involving (a) a property of over N1bn, (b) a claim of over USD28mm in respect of pre-emptive rights over shares, (c) a product-liability claim of over N3bn;
- currently advising and representing clients in a series of over 15 cases involving the Asset Management Corporation of Nigeria and Afrijet Airlines Ltd. for the recovery of over N13bn through receivership;
- currently representing clients in the claims (a) relating to receivership over Arik Air Nigeria Limited and (b) seeking to arrest and sell 16 aircraft controlled by Arik over claims of alleged statutory debts owed by Arik; and
- currently advising clients various actions on claims alleging infringement of copyright by a collecting society.
- Member of the Nigerian Bar.
- Member of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (UK).
Academic Record and Qualifications
- Barrister-at-Law (B.L) Nigerian Law School.
- Bachelor of Laws (LL. B), University of Ilorin.