Fred Onuobia, SAN is a senior partner at, and former managing partner of G. Elias. He holds a Bachelor of Laws and a Master of Laws degrees from the University of Nigeria and University College London respectively. Fred’s practice covers banking, structured finance, project finance, corporate, securities regulation, dispute resolution, "NewEconomy" and intellectual property protection.
Fred advises development finance institutions, leading global banks, multinational corporations, regulators, and corporates (domestic and foreign) on large, complex financings and on providing solutions to their legal and business needs. Fred is a Senior Advocate of Nigeria (UK King's Counsel equivalent).
LinkedIn - https://ng.linkedin.com/in/fred-onuobia-san-73736728
Tel: +234 803 402 3879;
Some of Fred’s work include:
- advice to a leading global bank on a cross-currency swap with a financial institutions’ regulator.
- advice to a leading global bank on a securities lending transaction with a financial institutions regulator.
- advice to a multilateral financial institution on the provision to Nigeria’s largest development finance institution of loans in excess of USD1bn and €1bn for on-lending to small and medium-scale enterprises.
- advice to a multilateral financial institution on a multimillion-dollar loan to a Nigerian corporate for the establishment of a large petroleum refinery plant.
- advice to a syndicate of lenders led by a multilateral financial institution on an over USD400m loan to a concessionaire for the rehabilitation of the Lekki-Epe expressway, Nigeria’s first private toll road.
- advice to a syndicate of local lenders on the refinancing of the Murtala Muhammed Domestic Airport (MMA 2), Nigeria’s pioneer privately-operated Airport terminal.
- advice to a leading Nigerian bank on a USD350mm acreage development financing to an indigenous oil and gas company.
- advice to a foreign-owned Nigerian bank on an expansion credit facility to a multinational brewer.
- advice to a life insurer on its acquisition of a publicly-listed general insurance underwriter.
- represented (and currently represents) Nigeria’s leading telecommunications company on a series of intellectual property disputes/cases before Nigerian courts.
- The Managing Partner.
- Member of the Nigerian Bar.
- Senior Advocate of Nigeria
- A Notary Public.
- A Partner.
Academic Record and Qualifications
- LL.B (University of Nigeria). Sometime proxime accessit among graduating students at the University of Nigeria’s law faculty.
- B.L (Nigerian Law School).
- LL.M (University College London)